The LYS program helps young adults develop a lifestyle based on the gospel message.
It enables them to welcome all that life offers, face life’s challenges and bring love into the corners of society. They learn to value the dignity of each individual, strive for unity and harmony in every situation, and to work to build a united world.
They acquire life-long skills through a variety of topics, work experiences and trips as well as opportunities to participate in activities on the local level.
Open to Gen and young adults who are familiar with the Focolare sprituality, ages 18 to 27.
- Session 1: March 1 to May 31.
- Summer session: July 1 to August 31
- Fall: to be determined
- Points of the Focolare spirituality
- Harnessing the virtues
- Role of youth in the church
- Ethics & moral issues, the church’s teaching
- Vocation discernment
- English lessons
- Relationship skills
- Social justice
- Aspects of American culture
- Decision making techniques
- Methods of explaining the Focolare to peers
- Pope Francis’ themes on hope
- Communication best practices
- Basic cooking lessons and household skills
- Personal finance – how to manage your money
Through the volunteer work program, the young adults learn responsibility and gain practical skills useful for their future.
Personal stories of Focolare members give a witness of how to sow love in the family, at work, in the justice system, in the business world… wherever they will find themselves.
Trips (possibilities that can be taken as a group)
A quintessential blend of colonial history and cutting-edge innovation. With diverse neighborhoods, civic landmarks along the Black Heritage Trail and Freedom Trail, and iconic grounds of Harvard University and Fenway Park.
New York City
Our feet and subway trains take us around to marvel the majestic sites:
The Brooklyn Bridge, wall street, Battery park, world trade center, Staten island ferry – a view from the water, central park, Rockefeller center, St. Patrick’s cathedral, Columbus circle, times square by night.
The Smithsonian museums offer a wealth of history in various fields such as:
- National Air and Space Museum
- National Museum of American History
- National Museum of the American Indian
- The National Museum of African American History and Culture
To apply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Details and information – www.lys.focolare.us
YCNA – an activity at Mariapolis Luminosa
Luminosa Youth School
Hyde Park, New York, U.S.
This year is different – and the Christmas Season is not exempt.
We cannot get together for Christmas parties. We have to carefully discern every family gathering we plan.
Even the Nativity Display at Mariapolis Luminosa, a tradition for over 33 years, will have a different format this year. And yet, the message of hope […][more]